The hands need a little attention when it comes to skincare. Just like the face or neck, hands can show the signs of aging—wrinkles, loosening skin, discoloration. With a seasonal change around the corner and with cold and flu season wreaking havoc on hands from frequent handwashing and sanitizing, it’s important to know how to maintain skin health to keep hands healthy, hydrated and free of irritation.
We reached out to our knowledgeable team of ZO® Skincare Specialists to help us answer some of your more pressing questions associated with hand care.
WHY ARE HAND + BODY CARE SO IMPORTANT?
The hands are something we use every day. We use them to gesture, to eat, to work, to clean, and more. Hands are an active part of our lives and are prone to repetitive motions, harsh soaps + detergents, environmental aggressors, and overuse. Additionally, the skin on the back of the hands is thin and delicate, making it more susceptible to premature aging.
Hands commonly experience dryness, itchiness and irritation. For patients with eczema or other skin conditions, these symptoms can intensify with flare ups or in the presence of specific environmental triggers.
If damaged or broken, skin can be one of the easiest portals of entry for pollutants and pathogens, which can lead to infection, disease, and illness. By maintaining the skin barrier function in the hands, you can contribute to your overall health.
In summary, the skin is the largest organ of the body. Think of your skin as a shield; if a shield is damaged, it won’t be as protective. This applies to the skin on the face, the hands—everywhere.
WHAT IS A GOOD SKIN HEALTH REGIMEN FOR HANDS?
Hands benefit from cleansing, exfoliation + hydration. ZO® Skincare Specialist share their top tips and product recommendations for hand care:
- Gentle cleansing. Stray away from harsh soaps and detergents when washing the skin, which can compromise the skin barrier and dry out skin.
- Exfoliate. Using a physical exfoliator weekly can help to remove dead skin cells and promote a healthy glow. Exfoliating Polish whisks away dirt, debris and other buildups to reveal more even, smoother skin.
- Apply leftover Face Product on The Hands. When doing your face skincare routine, consider applying any extra to your hands. Many ZO® products offer anti-aging benefits, such as Daily Power Defense, and can help maintain the hands’ youthful-looking appearance.
- Enjoy The Spa At Home. Use Enzymatic Peel on hands as a mini-mask. Gentle enzymatic exfoliation helps smooth hands, and the peel also offer additional benefits, such as revitalizing dull-looking skin.
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Dry, cracking skin is one of the biggest complaints when it comes to the skin. Hydrating Crème provides long-lasting, intense hydration. Its soothing benefits can be beneficial to patients with sensitized skin or other skin conditions. It has been awarded The Seal of Acceptance by The National Eczema Association.
CAN RETINOL BE USED ON THE HANDS?
Retinol can be used on the hands and can be effective in addressing the common signs of aging that occur there, such as skin laxity, fine lines, and surface discoloration. However, our Skincare Specialists suggest keeping a few things in mind when deciding whether to include a retinol product into your hand care regimen.
Anticipated reactions, such as redness, peeling and itching, can occur on the hands when using a high-potency retinol, and can intensify with frequent handwashing and sanitizer usage. Retinol Skin Brighter .25% can be used for body brightening on the hands, chest and forearms. For a lower concentration of retinol, Body Emulsion offers skin tone evening + smoothing benefits while delivering ample hydration.
As always, sunscreen should never be overlooked as the last step in a skin regimen. Triple-Spectrum Protection® helps guard against sun + light damage which can contribute to the visible signs of aging on the hands. When applying your favorite ZO® Sunscreen to the face, also apply the product to the top of the hands before heading out for your day.